Wednesday 31 October 2012

OCTOBER RENDEZVOUS

“I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain; What a wonderful feeling, I'm happy again.” Arthur Freed
 

Magpie Tales has given us inspiration in the form of a rainy embrace this week. My response was immediate and literal.
 

October Rendezvous
 

The rain fell all night long,
And gray dawn was wet
Making of the streets, steel mirrors,
And of the gutters, rivulets.
 

As raindrops fell and fell
I feared you wouldn’t come;
As clock hands crawled
And dark eddies swirled in my mind.
 

The street deserted, all taking cover,
Even the cars sparse, on the road;
I watch and wait, mindful of the rain
Saturating me to the core.
 

As raindrops fall and fall
I fear you will not come;
As clock hands stop
And frozen rain soaks my heart.
 

A lone umbrella in the distance,
Approaching, and a familiar footstep
Making me watch alert, the dawning sun
Of expectation lights my darkness.
 

As raindrops vanish in mid-fall,
I clasp you to my breast and we kiss;
Umbrella now redundant,
As our love shields us from all outside it.

3 comments:

  1. Clock hands always crawl when waiting on a beloved lover....this is lovely Nicholas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The redundant umbrella...I love that...romantic, evocative write...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, and rather moving...

    ReplyDelete